Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Much ado about one thing

That one thing being packing up my life and moving to NZ. Such a simple thing as I write it in a sentence. Not such a simple thing in real life.

A quick update:
  • two more days of work
  • then one week of packing
  • then moving in for a yet unspecified number of days with the parents. Still flying 7th
  • party this Saturday evening in local pub...photos will certainly be shared
  • no idea about what work I will do 'out there'
  • still having to sit on hands to stop myself battering people about the head who suggest I am going to meet, marry, and sprog up with a sheep farmer within 2 mins of arriving. Give me at least 5! (wah HA).
  • no idea where I am going to live after initial week of being hosted by kind family friends
  • yes, I am excited
  • no I haven't got anyone for the flat yet...yes I am confident I will have
  • yes, I vaguely know one or two people 'out there'
  • I have reserved space in a storage facility about 10 mins drive from here for my stuff (thanks Karen!)
Having people round to see your flat with a view to renting it is quite a pain as I have to be ultra tidy all the time, especially at that inconvenient time of just before leaving for work. Whilst this is doable for me, it is not enjoyable. But never mind, I should get used to living in a bit of a mess.

I can't quite get on with the good stuff of actually getting all my clothes out and planning what to take, as this is something that needs to be done prior to then packing it all in loads of boxes and storing it.

I am very much looking forward to my party on Saturday as there should be quite a few people and a totally strange mix of al my friends, many of whom don't know each other. What did Bridget Jones teach me? Oh yes, 'Ieaun, meet Hannah. Hannah is into amateur dramatics and was last seen on stage sporting a ridiculous wig and bright pink period dress. Ieaun is Welsh and I used to beat him at spinning tops'. Should be a good night :)

2 comments:

A said...

Yahoo!! Her imminent arrival awaits. And you do not VAGUELY know this person over here, you trut!

One vague plan on the cards which you might be interested in - at some point I could potentially drive up to Picton, meet you at the ferry, and we could have some chillin time on the warm Abel-Tasman beaches. That's if you wanna head straight to the south island, which you may not. You could even come back down to chch with me. Just an idea, I do't know if you have plans in mind already.

Anyway, if you're going via 'we want your inside leg measurement and retinal scan for sitting in our airport lounge cos obviously you must be a criminal' then you get to bring - like - A MILLION kilos of baggage, so just bring everything you own! If, on the other hand you're going via 'no that's ok sir, we work on the basis of innocent until proven guilty, but we better not see you chewing gum', you should probably just have one coat, and bear essentials. If its any consolation clothes are pretty cheap here.

Anyway, am I going on? Not a very succinct comment. CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE YOUR UGLY FACE OVER HERE! There will be hugs, and maybe even beers.
x

A said...

And you could also bring some bare essentials, to go with those bear essentials. My mind's gone to mush - I just printed three copies of my thesis to submit on monday. Yay!
x