Sunday, March 15, 2009

The inevitable

Since returning to the UK, I have had a number of comments comparing me to me a year ago, generally starting 'since you've been back...' or 'you're more x since you're back'. They range from my physical appearance, to my personality, to my accent. Uncommented but possibly noted also are changes to my faith.

Comparisons are one of the ways that we naturally use to evaluate change, and it begs the question to me as to whether I like/am happy with/ the changes that have been mentioned (they are correct observations I should point out). Am I a 'worse' or 'better' person than 12 months ago? It's all rather subjective unless you in turn compare it with a universal truth.

I'm good at bimbling through life and enjoying it, but on a bigger scale that you find yourself considering when you are about to pounce on 30 years: what, where, who, when, and why?

A rock or rocks are used as a metaphor in the Bible to describe God/Jesus/faith, often meaning as a foundation (Matt 7:24), and as unshakable protection (Ps 94:22). I could do with some of that.

2 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

Interesting thoughts. :)
I shall ponder...possibly! (I'm hardly in need of more introspection at the moment!!! ;) )
love ya
xxx

Chris said...

Now that's a tease of a post not mentioning the changes (realise that may be a bit personal so don't feel you have to say anything more). We do change as time progresses though, both in character and faith. Catch up soon I dare say.