Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Feet

My notes on what to blog about go like this, with meanings:
  • hidden bar - because I have found out that dancing places do exist in Wellington (as I suspected...) but that they hide them away around corners and through other rooms so that you presuem it is just another bar. Now I shall know what to look for.
  • Kimi present - Jo gave me a picture of lovely Kimi in a little frame. Well done Jo. All I need now is one of me gazing at him for the other side of the frame.
  • black feet - I was dancing barefoot in the club where we went for some dancing as part of my birthday. I had some VERY dirty feet when I looked in the morning.
  • rain - it finally rained. It hasn't rained a lot since I arrived, but it chucked it down on Saturday and it was nice.
  • extention of work - ACC have asked me to stay until the end of the month, such is my knowledge of templates, styles, and formatting in Word. That's one to brag about.
  • Shortland Street - Neighbours is on too early for me to get back and watch. SS is on at 7pm and I am now a big fan. Hurrah for headline-grabbing storylines about serial killers.
  • 'my words' - I discovered recently the list of words on my phone that I have added, ie that weren't not in the dictionary that comes with the phone. It tells a certain story of parts of my life. If you have such a phone, I recommend a look at the words which you felt it necessary to text to someone. I shall share just a part of my alphabetical list: Sainsburys, seafront, rhubarb. plonker, podcast, snog, pootle, prix.
  • lack of fair trade - says it all really. Am very surprised and disappointed at how niche the market still is here. I am used to a lot of choice from Supermarkets, even in small dairy's, but not here. There is a shop called TradeAid where you can get all the stuff, but the cross-over to it being a normal item to be found in any shop, is still a long way off. Not even tea, coffee, chocolate and sugar. It's really sad.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonder what these say about me?

wycombe
clive
chichester
intra
bekah
pagans
tractors
vaugn
blog
kampala
lw
nd
jassy
uxbridge

Ruth said...

I like the idea that pagans and tractors might have been in the same text :)

A said...

Just not true. You can TOTALLY get fair trade tea, coffee, hot chocolate and chocolate in any ol standard supermarket here. Can't get sugar though, I'll admit.

Funny you should mention hidden bars, just last night we found a wicked, tiny little bar, squeezed in between several others (in chch they have a habit of having 'bar areas' which are all owned by the same guy, and are ostensibly different in style to appeal to different markets, but in reality only contain the same drunk eegits as every other bar) and it was almost empty, and just COOL!

I've managed to avoid Shortland St. Only good NZ TV show I ever got a chance to see was BroTown. Oh and Flight of the Concords.

Glad to hear the job is working out, hope it's fun. Not so glad to hear I missed your birthday - when is it? Well, belated happy birthday.

n how does one find one's new words list? Mine probably contains a variety of swear words (very naughty), as well as useless Englishisms like crickey. Doubt I can beat pagan tractors though.

Love you, you silly bint.
x

AdventuringJen said...

The fair trade thing...it isn't great - but it did improve dramatically in the 18 months we were there (when we arrived you couldn't get anything fair trade in our local supermarkets, only the Trade Aid shop in Petone. By the time we left there was at least G&B and Clipper in the supermarkets.)
Get yourself those little cards from Trade Aid "Dear Mr Supermarket, I was in your store today and disappointed to find that you did not stock X. Here's my name and address so you can tell me when you do."
xxx

Ruth said...

Thank Belli and Jen for the Fairtrade thoughts. I'm glad to hear it is improving and I will certainly be arming myself with cards. Bel, I think you may have been spoiled by TradeAid being from Chch because seriously honey, supermarkets not doing much. Will admit though that I did se G+B in supermarket, but looked at back and it said nothing about it's FT roots, so I wasn't convinced. Perhaps I should have been. Will do some more investigation. Have also bought 1 feijoa.