Sunday, March 25, 2007

Quite how truthful to be in your annual review...

This came up last week. I was having my annual review (or PDR - Personal Development Review) and was discussing how I would like some project management training. My boss told me about a course run through work which is 1 day a month over 2 years which would be great for me to go on. That was the point when I felt a bit torn. If I want to get to New Zealand on working holiday visa I need to get it before I'm 30, in 2 years and 2 days time. Having asked to go on a course, I felt it would look a bit stupid for me to then have no very good reason (that she knew about) for not doing it. So I said that actually my plans were to be in NZ by two years' time, which she was a little surprised by.

I am really not one for playing any kind of game at work, or being political (with a small p) about what I do, because I'm just not clever enough to make it work for me, so it's better not to try! However, basically telling your boss you are going to leave some time between now and a year and a half's time, just may not stand me in the best stead.

It's tricky. I wanted to be honest, but I also didn't want to have that 'she's leaving' label. However, I feel I couldn't have said anything else or I would have either lied or implied something different. So there we are.

2 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

How exciting to find you are blogging!
It is a tricky one. I told my boss earlier than strictly necessary that we were thinking of leaving the country because I didn't want him to hear by gossip and several of my friends at work knew we were thinking about it. (He thought I was going to tell him I was pregnant...) Even though it was early, it was still only about 7 months before I left. Up until about a month before I left though, I didn't get much of the "you aren't going to be here, why should you care" which was good. Hopefully it will be the same for you. And I think honesty is the best policy. And I don't think knowing someone is going to leave within the next 18 months is really all that surprising these days, gone are the times of life long jobs for most people. So well done you, and rightly done you, and I hope it works out really well.
Miss you heaps
xxxx

AdventuringJen said...

Ooh, and I forgot to say, can I link you? :)