Monday, November 12, 2007

Marketing overkill/cleverness

Today I attended a rather grandly titled 'roadshow' about a thing called Local Area Agreements. It was in a Holiday Inn in London. I had rather a range of emotions when I noticed that the drinks available were from Starbucks! Big dispensers with 'brewed by Starbucks' written on, and cookies and stuff, a la a mini-coffee station. Some thoughts I went through in my mind: 'ooo, coffee', 'oh my goodness I can't believe Starbucks have an arrangement to provide coffee to Holiday Inns', 'biscuits!', 'I really shouldn't have such a big cup', 'ooo real mugs', 'we look like a big coffee advert'.


As well as lots of information, one of the speakers did suggest repeatedly that the way to develop partnership plans is to take everyone to a tapas restaurant and get them to choose dishes together, as a rather yummy extended metaphor.



Word Watch: there was a good smattering of 'drilling down' and a guy trying to create the word 'innovational', which surely is 'innovative'?

I alos have a huge new bruise on my leg from falling off a chair. Not at the roadshow. Don't ask. Can't feel any bone sticking out...but it's going a very dodgy purpley colour...

2 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

Hahaha!
(But I do want to ask about the bruise?!)

A said...

Ruthies Blog, brought to you by Starbucks.
Do they do tea though? - that's the question.

And where's this F1 discussion you promised me on your blog then, eh? I'm outta the loop (NZ TV gave up the rights to F1 this year so I haven't heard any commentary) and I wanna know your opinion on the whole debacle. Of course you're biased what with your love of Finnish men! Come to think of it, maybe you're coming to the wrong country for man-hunting!

x